|Subject:||Global Day of Action to #DefendCordilleraPH|
|Date:||Sun, 24 Sep 2023 13:09:40 +0800|
|From:||Romeo Jara <email@example.com>|
The Cordillera People have faced countless attacks under the programs of the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC). Through the implementation of the Anti-Terrorism Law of 2020, the Anti Terrorism Council (ATC) has designated as “terrorists” Indigenous Peoples human rights defenders and Cordillera Peoples Alliance (CPA) activists Windel Bolinget, Jennifer Awingan, Sarah Abellon-Alikes, and Steve Tauli.
The ATC Resolution No. 41 was published on 10 July 2023, but was signed and approved by the ATC last 7 June 2023. Moreover, the terrorist designation was issued shortly after President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. issued Executive Order 33 on 4 July 2023 which included counter-proliferation financing in the National Anti-Money Laundering and Countering (AMLC) Financing Terrorism Strategy. The designation resulted in the freezing of assets and bank accounts of the four, their families, and even CPA’s bank accounts.
Under the Marcos Jr. administration, the systematic attacks against Indigenous Peoples and IP rights defenders have intensified. This growing trend of harassment, criminalization, vilification, enforced disappearances, and extrajudicial killings of Indigenous Peoples, especially leaders and rights defenders continues despite pronouncements by Pres. Bongbong Marcos Jr., to protect human rights.
Now more than ever, the call to #DefendCordilleraPH and to Stand with people of Cordillera needs to resonate globally. Let us all again strengthen and broaden our international solidarity and support for the Cordillera Peoples’ struggles, the Cordillera Peoples Alliance, and their continuing struggle for their rights, lands, culture, and lives.
- Mobilize international support to revoke the ATC resolution No. 41 or the designation of CPA leaders Windel Bolinget, Steve Tauli, Sarah Alikes, and Jen Awingan as terrorists and the freezing of CPA bank accounts.
- Strengthen and broaden international solidarity for the Cordillera Peoples and their struggles, and stand with CPA.
- Widen the network of support for the struggle of Indigenous Peoples in the Philippines.
- Amplify the international call to review and repeal the Philippines Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020.
Call to action on September 28!
- Organize an action, gathering or discussion in your area to talk about what’s happening in the Cordillera, the attacks against CPA and plan on ways how you can show support.
- Post your support photos, selfies, videos, statements and messages carrying our calls. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OMHZRk4FglmPags_stSI40KwDijud8fR?usp=sharing
- Use the hashtags #DefendCordilleraPH #StandWithCPA #JunkTerrorLaw.
- Volunteer and be part of the Defend Cordillera PH team.