September 15, 2015
Reference: Cristina “Tinay” Palabay, Secretary General, +63917-3162831
Angge Santos, Media Liaison, +63918-9790580
Karapatan lists Aquino/AFP SOP alibis on killings, human rights violations
“Kabisado na namin,” said Cristina Palabay Karapatan secretary general on the BS Aquino regime and the AFP’s standard reply when confronted with issues of killings and other human rights violations they have committed against the people.
Karapatan enumerated seven ways the government and the AFP escape accountability (even if no one believes them anymore):
1. Keep mum. Let the issue die down. #Dumededma
2. Deny. Feign innocence, even if a thousand witnesses attest to the culpability of Aquino regime and the AFP. #DenialKing
3. Blame the victim/s. Tell the public it’s right to kill the victims because they are members of the New People’s Army anyway; as if killing rebels is justified. #BoySisi
4. Blame the NPA. Tell the public the human rights violations are committed by the New People’s Army. Never mind if earlier they claimed the victims are NPA members. #BoySisiReturns
5. Red tagging. Tag human rights violation/s as “communist propaganda” and the organizations raising the issue as “communist fronts”. #BoySisiReplay
6. Conduct a self-serving investigation to put the blame on others. Para lang may masabing nagawa, magi-imbestiga kuno sila. Bring out false witnesses and “plant” evidence. Publish the result of the “investigation” to exonerate themselves. Or better, create an inter-agency task force to in a bid to look more credible. #BoySisiMemasabiLang
7. Commit more atrocities against the people to divert attention, and take actions 1-6 stated above. #AlamNa #PalusotBulok
“When in panic, as what is happening now in the case of the killing of two Lumad leaders Dionel Campos and Datu Juvello Sinzo and Lumad school director Emerito Samarca, the BS Aquino government does all of the above, at the risk of dishing out statements that contradict each other. Still, if no one buys these palusot, they can come up with other diversionary tactics to redirect everyone’s attention elsewhere,” said Palabay.
“Whether the BS Aquino regime and the AFP are able to escape accountability on the spate of human rights violations they have committed through theses excuses, the atrocities continue with impunity. That’s how rotten this tuwid na daan is,” Palabay ended. ###
PUBLIC INFORMATION DESK
Alliance for the Advancement of People’s Rights
2nd Flr. Erythrina Bldg., #1 Maaralin corner Matatag Sts., Central District
Diliman, Quezon City, PHILIPPINES 1101
Telefax: (+63 2) 4354146
KARAPATAN is an alliance of human rights organizations and programs, human rights desks and committees of people’s organizations, and individual advocates committed to the defense and promotion of people’s rights and civil liberties. It monitors and documents cases of human rights violations, assists and defends victims and conducts education, training and campaign.