Sent by Rafael Joseph Maramag

 From: MIGRANTE Europe <office@migrante-europe.net> Date: 2013/10/16 Subject: Death toll in Bohol quake now close to 100 To: “MIGRANTE Europe (NL)” <office@migrante-europe.net>

 

Death toll in Bohol quake now close to  100 Associated Press Tuesday, October 15th,  2013
CEBU, Philippines — The  death toll from a 7.2-magnitude earthquake that struck Bohol on Tuesday rose to  93, as rescuers struggled to reach patients in a collapsed hospital.  Centuries-old stone churches crumbled and wide areas were without  power.
Bohol police chief Dennis  Agustin said 77 of the deaths came from the province. At least 15 others died in  nearby Cebu province and another on Siquijor Island.
The quake struck at 8:12  a.m. and was centered about 33 kilometers (20 miles) below Carmen city, where  many small buildings collapsed.
Many roads and bridges were  reported damaged, making rescue operations difficult. But historic churches  dating from the Spanish colonial period suffered the most. Among them was the  country’s oldest, the 16th-century Basilica of the Holy Child in Cebu, which  lost its bell tower.
Nearly half of a  17th-century limestone church in Loboc town, southwest of Carmen, was reduced to  rubble.
The highest number of dead  — 18 — were in the municipality of Loon, 42 kilometers (26 miles) west of  Carmen, where an unknown number of patients were trapped inside the Congressman  Castillo Memorial Hospital, which partially collapsed. Rescuers were working to  reach them, said civil defense spokesman Maj. Reynaldo Balido.
As night fell, the entire  province was in the dark after the quake cut power supplies. Windy weather and  rain also forced back a military rescue helicopter.
Authorities were setting up  tents for those displaced by the quake, while others who lost their homes moved  in with their relatives, Bohol Gov. Edgardo Chatto said.
Extensive damage also hit  densely populated Cebu city, across a narrow strait from Bohol, causing deaths  when a building in the port and the roof of a market area  collapsed.
The quake set off two  stampedes in nearby cities. When it struck, people gathered in a gym in Cebu  rushed outside in a panic, crushing five people to death and injuring eight  others, said Neil Sanchez, provincial disaster management officer.
“We ran out of the  building, and outside, we hugged trees because the tremors were so strong,” said  Vilma Yorong, a provincial government employee in Bohol.
“When the shaking stopped,  I ran to the street and there I saw several injured people. Some were saying  their church has collapsed,” she told The Associated Press by  phone.
As fear set in, Yorong and  the others ran up a mountain, afraid a tsunami would follow the quake. “Minutes  after the earthquake, people were pushing each other to go up the hill,” she  said.
But the quake was centered  inland and did not cause a tsunami.
Offices and schools were  closed for a national holiday — the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha — which may  have saved lives.
The earthquake also was  deeper below the surface than a 6.9-magnitude temblor last year in waters near  Negros Island, also in the central Philippines, that killed nearly 100  people.
Aledel Cuizon said the  quake that caught her in her bedroom sounded like “a huge truck that was  approaching and the rumbling sound grew louder as it got closer.”
She and her neighbors ran outside, where she saw concrete electric poles “swaying like coconut trees.” It  lasted 15-20 seconds, she said.
Cebu city’s hospitals quickly moved patients into the streets, basketball courts and  parks.
Cebu province, about 570  kilometers (350 miles) south of Manila, has a population of more than 2.6  million people. Cebu is the second largest city after Manila. Nearby Bohol has  1.2 million people and is popular among foreigners because of its beach and  island resorts and famed Chocolate Hills.
President Benigno Aquino  III said he would travel to Bohol and Cebu on Wednesday.
Regional military commander  Lt. Gen. Roy Deveraturda said he recalled soldiers from holiday furlough to  respond to the quake. He said it damaged the pier in Tagbilaran, Bohol’s  provincial capital, and caused some cracks at Cebu’s international airport but  that navy ships and air force planes could use alternative ports to help  out.
Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/507711/death-toll-in-bohol-quake-now-close-to-100#ixzz2hrhGFpn1 Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter  | inquirerdotnet on Facebook
Deadliest earthquakes that  shook the Philippines By Kristine Angeli Sabillo INQUIRER.net Tuesday,  October 15th, 2013
MANILA, Philippines – At  least 60 people were killed while roads, bridges and centuries-old churches were  heavily damaged after a 7.2-magnitude earthquake hit Bohol, Cebu, Negros  Occidental and other provinces on Tuesday morning.
Philippine Institute of  Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) Director Renato Solidum said the major  earthquake was the strongest felt in Visayas and Mindanao in the last 23 years,  releasing energy equivalent to “32 Hiroshima bombs.”
Located along the Pacific  Ring of Fire, the source of 90 percent of the world’s earthquakes, the  Philippines has experienced a number of devastating tremors. Just last year, the  United States Geological Survey (USGS) listed the 6.7-magnitude Negros-Cebu  earthquake as the deadliest in 2012 with its 113 fatalities.
According to Phivolcs,  among the Philippines’ most destructive earthquakes in recent history  are:
1968: Casiguran – A  7.3-magnitude tremor, considered at the time as the most destructive in the last  20 years, hit the town of Casiguran, Aurora and the rest of Luzon. The six-story  Ruby Tower in Binondo, Manila collapsed, killing around 300 tenants, as other  major buildings in the same area were damaged. Extensive landslides and large  fissures were observed in the mountainous areas while a tsunami was also  recorded.
Read: Ruby Tower earthquake  survivors visit hallowed ground
Phivolcs report: Casiguran  Earthquake – 02 August 1968
1973: Ragay Gulf – Almost a  hundred houses were destroyed while 270 others were damaged in Calauag, Quezon  due to a magnitude 7 earthquake. A number of other buildings, roads, railroads  and bridges were damaged. The Sumulong highway bridge collapsed while PNR’s  railways were “badly twisted” due to the ground movement caused by the  quake.
Phivolcs report: Ragay Gulf  Earthquake – 17 March 1973
1976: Moro Gulf – Almost  5,000 people were killed by a record 7.9-magnitude earthquake and the resulting  tsunami which hit the island of Mindanao. The offshore tremor generated by the  Cotabato trench caused a tsunami, said to be responsible for 85 percent of the  deaths. “The sea unloaded its fury on everything near the shore. Houses and  properties along the coastal beaches of Lanao del Sur and Pagadian were  practically washed out. Bits of houses littered the sea and bodies littered the  shore,” said the Phivolcs report.
Phivolcs report: Moro Gulf  Earthquake – 17 August 1976
1983: Laoag – A  6.5-magnitude tremor, considered the most severe to his north-western Luzon in  the last 52 years, left 16 dead and at least 50 injured. Dozens of building were  reduced to rubble while landslides affected other parts of Ilocos  Norte.
Phivolcs report: Laoag  Earthquake – 17 August 1983
1990: Bohol – Similar to  the recent earthquake, a shallow seated tectonic tremor (magnitude 6.8) hit  Bohol in 1990 and caused panic to the general public. It was also felt in other  parts of Visayas and in Mindanao. Six people were killed, 200 injured and 46,000  displaced. With thousands of houses damaged, at least 7,000 people were rendered  homeless.
Phivolcs report: Bohol  Earthquake – February 8, 1990
1990: Panay – One of the  three devastating earthquakes of 1990, the 7.1 magnitude tremor hit Panay island  and killed eight people while injuring 41 others. A number of bridges collapsed  while large fissures were recorded. In Aklan, a number of churches and other  infrastructure were heavily damaged while 15 percent of houses in Culasi,  Antique were reported damaged.
Phivolcs report: Panay  Earthquake – 14 June 1990
1990: Luzon – At least  1,200 people died in the July 16, 1990 earthquake (magnitude 7.7) that shook  Luzon. Baguio City was among the hardest-hit as many hotels and government  buildings collapsed killings hundreds in an instant. Because of landslides, the  city was isolated from the rest of the Philippines. In Cabanatuan City, Nueva  Ecija, buildings were also heavily damaged resulting in the death of more than  300 people.
Read: Baguio simulates 1990  quake for the young to learn, Baguio folk choose to forget 1990 killer  quake
Government report: Luzon  Earthquake – 16 July 1990
1994: Mindoro – Tsunami  caused by the 7.1-magnitude earthquake killed most of the 78 casualties from the  said calamity. Affected by the tsunami were coastal areas in Baco and Calapan,  Oriental Mindoro. At least 1530 houses, out of the 7566 damaged, were washed  away by the tsunami.
Phivolcs report: Mindoro  Earthquake – 15 November 1994
In 2012, a 6.9-magnitude  earthquake shook Negros and Cebu, causing landslides and the collapse of several  buildings, resulting in the death of at least 52 people. Other reports said at  least a hundred people were killed, mostly by landslides. Several bridges were  also rendered impassable.
Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/507653/deadliest-earthquakes-that-shook-the-philippines#ixzz2hrkRpNgD Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter  | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

1 of 1 Photo(s)